Wednesday, January 4, 2012

So, re-wiring a rack... it's what I love about this industry... there is always room to improve upon an older design or method. But it seems like no matter how well you plan a project, there is always something that comes up unexpected. I couldn't really risk that though since we have nearly daily shows in all our rooms. Fortunately I was able to schedule during a few days off to hook up a set of splits on stage for a monitor console, since this will save us a ton of money on our shows and be a great service we can now offer...

 so it started with chasing down conduits, pulling of tons of covers on junction boxes, thinking, writing out how things were currently wired, and then thinking some more. The problem was that since panels had already been moved around once, the numbers didn't match up, and some of the higher numbered lines had been removed and re-purposed. So I kinda had to work backwards through history and then rewrite it...
 I'm pretty sure whoever installed this last though thought it was called "service slack" not a "service loop". Between jumps and extensions on terminal blocks and cables that were a lot more tangled than I thought, it took a whole day on just one rack, and I got 2 more.
But fortunately on this one I mainly just had to rip stuff out of it.

Here are some of the final documents that I generated to reference wires, since not all of them were numbered I had to also write down the color combinations, in case I needed to remove more than planed to re-pull wire through a conduit or something.
and that's all for today... Tomorrow I will be taking a prototype console stand to a distributor to see if they want to carry it. Hopefully all goes well and is worth my driving all over town. I'll post the press kit and whatnot tomorrow.
But until then,
-Steven A.

No comments:

Post a Comment